Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I Have The Power

Well it’s official: I am your designated fivethirtyeight.com aficionado. It is my specialty to bring to you any noteworthy evidence that I find from the political website, and that’s just what I’m going to do. This week, what I had in mind maybe doesn’t pertain to you, but it certainly does to me and that’s all I care about.

The article I would like to focus on is one which empowers…me. Go figure. According to a Columbia University professor, voters in the following states will have a 1-in-10,000,000 chance of deciding the outcome of the election: New Mexico, New Hampshire, Virginia, and Colorado. Why is this relevant? Because I am from New Hampshire of course.

Let’s be honest, 1-in-10,000,000 is not the greatest odds in the world, but it is better than the average American’s chance of affecting who the next president of the United States will be. Not since residents of Florida in the 2000 election have any group of Americans been so politically empowered. I can feel the power surging through me.

Considering there are approximately 120,000,000 Americans who will participate in this election (and I base that on the popular vote from four years ago), I like my odds. Does anyone else? I’d be willing to sway my vote for the right price if you are a believer or if you really care that much. Just kidding. But seriously, citizens of these states, realize the power that is in your hands and how you could potentially have a drastic affect on this election, and get out there next Tuesday, November 4th and vote.

No comments: